Little Custom Homes are an Affordable way to own property near Gulf Shores, Orange Beach and Fort Morgan
My husband and I were so impressed with the Little Custom Homes product, we sold our home and decided to buy one of our own! We started the process in May. Today is October 17, 2018 and we are still without a home. My whole family (Husband, son age 10, daughter age 7, 2 cats and 2 dogs) are staying in a one bedroom short term rental and as of November we will have to find other accommodations, which we have not been able to do as of yet. In fact we have a contract and have been promised over and over again we would be in our home by Nov 1. BUT- Little Custom Homes HAS NOT EVEN STARTED our home yet. Please contact me if you would like further details. But at this time, there is NO WAY I can recommend this company, our experience has been a total nightmare thus far. The old adage is correct: “If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.”
Looking for an Affordable way to live near the Beaches of Gulf Shores, Orange Beach or Fort Morgan?
With the recent buzz and news of the the little factory in Irvington Alabama and their ability to crank out manufactured homes at a reasonable price, my own little factory upstairs has started cranking out ideas.
I knew if we could put together a suitable lending package for buyers, we would have a high quality and affordable solution for those hoping to live near the Alabama Gulf Coast.
When arriving at the factory we meandered through looking at homes that were in different stages of completion. There was one home there near completion. Wow. I was impressed. The finishes on these homes are incredible- a high end product without the price tag.
Some of the Bells:
- Real Wood Flooring
- Tongue in Groove walls
- Wood ceilings with exposed beams
- Rustic Modern Fixtures
- Butcher Block Counter Tops
- Hardie Plank Siding
- Metal Roof
- Covered Porches
- Built to GOLD FORTIFIED certification
- Plumbing and Electric complete
Some of the Whistles:
- Stainless Steel appliance package (Refrigerator, Stove, Microwave with Venthood)
- Washer and Dryer
- Complete Pier One Furniture Package (retailing $12k)
- Wall Decor
- 2 Flat screen televisions hung on the wall
- Free Delivery to your location in Baldwin County
Most of the time when you think of building a new home, you are of course excited. But then the thought of the dreadful process sets in. That is exactly how my husband and I decided AGAINST building. (and the timing of his accident– didn’t help either.) But read on! Now that this option is available, it may be your ticket to owning your getaway near the beach!
Little Custom Homes has removed all of the pain of building.
The more I have learned and researched about this option, it seems like the perfect solution for families, snowbirds, retirees, or anyone wanting a second home near Gulf Shores, Orange Beach or Fort Morgan Alabama.
Like the name suggests these homes are generally considered “little” with most floor plans around 800-1000 sq ft- this is why it just makes sense to use as a vacation or second home in my opinion. (But there ARE other larger options available– fyi.)
In my thought process, these Little Custom Homes fill a void where there is a need….Affordable homes at or near the beach.
Floorplans and Pricing:
There are dozens of floor plans available with prices starting at around $70/square foot. This popular 3 bedroom 2 bath option below sells turnkey and delivered for $86,000. (Of course this does not include the cost of land).
Another popular example is the 2 bed 1 bath and 800 sq ft below priced at $68,000, furnished, appliances, and delivered to your site!
It’s About Time:
But here’s the real kicker! Once your home is ordered, it takes ONLY 8 weeks to have that home complete and on your home site. 8 weeks! I know people who have built new homes and have waited 9 months to a year for completion! Since the homes are built within the factory they are in out of the elements thereby eliminating the need to build according to the weather! These are stick built homes and also GOLD FORTIFIED. This means these homes are built to hurricane and coastal specifications. The gold fortification certificate down on the coast is a big deal because it hands the homeowner not only peace of mind during inclement weather, but also a nice discount and savings on their insurance costs!
What about financing?
I have partnered with my preferred lender and we have put together a great option for you! If you don’t already have your own piece of land to put one of these cute cottages on- never fear! We can help with as little as 3.5 down (ZERO if you are VA eligible or if the area is USDA eligible), and the ability to roll your closing costs into the loan- owning your own brand new home has never been more affordable!
First and foremost- Let’s get you pre-approved. You will need at least a 620 credit score and adequate debt to income ratios. You can fill out the online application 24/7 for FREE HERE. Once we get your pre-approved the fun begins! It’s time to:
- Pick out your desired floorplan and options
- We will then get the cost break-down from the builder for the lender
- We will then be able to determine our land budget
- Shop for land!
- Get a piece of land Under Contract
- Determine site costs (site prep, (does the lot need cleared?) slab, utility hook-ups, building permits etc all will be built in to your loan and must be below your max approval amount and less than FHA max amounts- currently $295k).
- Let Devin work his Construction to Permanent Loan magic and get ready to close!
A Few things to Remember & Consider:
- Land/lots available on the beach or beach side will have added costs and time limitations due to special permits and studies that are or may be required. (i.e if a beach mouse permit is required, this could take months and months).
- If the lot you would like is located in a COBRA zone- affordable flood insurance may be difficult to find.
- There are A LOT of wetlands down here, this is something to consider when looking/ shopping for land as well. Sometimes you can find a huge parcel and think it’s a great deal- when in reality it is mostly unusable.
- If you find a lot that is in an already platted out subdivision- generally there are minimum square footage requirements and smaller homes (usually less than 1500 sq ft) are not allowed. (they may require specific architectural design limitations as well to keep the neighborhood designs cohesive).
- If the lot you choose is in an X flood zone- you may be required to put your home on pilings which would incur additional or higher building prep/site costs.
- If your lot needs cleared, (many will) this will be another site prep cost to consider.
- If the lot does not have utilities already in place (most will not), this will be another site prep cost to consider.
The above are just a few reasons why it is important to have your own dedicated Real Estate Agent. We are versed in the specific rules and building laws to our area and are here to protect you and make sure you do not find yourself making costly mistakes that could have been avoided. I will be glad to help you find the perfect piece of land for your home and protect your interests at the same time.
I would love to help make your Alabama Gulf Coast home ownership dream come true. If you feel that this is just the affordable home ownership option you have been looking for- please contact me!